Contact: LeeAnn Petersen at Leeann@womeninadvocacy.com
Download full press release in PDF here.
Washington, D.C. – August 1, 2019 Organizers of the PWIA Conference are pleased to announce the finalists for the 2019 Excellence in Advocacy Awards. This is the only awards program that recognizes everyday women advocates.
There were eighty-one nominees this year. Peer judges, women working in government relations, advocacy and public affairs, narrowed down the list to just three finalists in each category. The next phase in the awards is the public endorsement period wherein nominees and nominators create buzz around their nomination to raise the visibility of their cause, organization or industry. The final round of judging will be conducted by the leadership of the esteemed Bryce Harlow Foundation who will select one awardee for each category. The awardees will be revealed at the Excellence in Advocacy Reception and Awards on Monday, October 21st (5-7pm) at the Washington Marriott at Metro Center in Washington, DC.
For more information on the nominees, the awards, and the conference please visit www.womeninadvocacy.com. Press may attend the reception on a complimentary basis by emailing email@example.com. We hope all others will help us celebrate the accomplishments of these amazing finalists by registering here.
The finalists are:
Excellence in a Federal Issue Campaign – An effort wherein the advocate(s) successfully impacted the outcome of a federal legislative or regulatory problem or opportunity on behalf of their cause, issue, client, organization or coalition.
- Bethany Aronhalt, Senior Director, Media Relations, National Retail Federation
- Noelle Callahan, Public Policy Manager | Major Gifts Officer, White Coat Waste Project
Olympic Medical Center
- Bobby Beeman, Communications & Public Affairs Manager, Olympic Medical Center
- Jennifer Burkhardt, Chief Human Resources Officer and General Counsel, Olympic Medical Center
Excellence in a State Issue Campaign – An effort wherein the advocate(s) successfully impacted the outcome of a state or local legislative or regulatory problem or opportunity on behalf of their cause, issue, client, organization or coalition.
- Renee Hopkins, Chief Executive Officer, Alliance for Gun Responsibility
- Laura Prather, Partner, Haynes and Boone, LLP
American Society for Dermatologic Surgery Association (ASDSA)
- Kristin A. Hellquist, MS, CAE Director of Advocacy and Practice Affairs, American Society for Dermatologic Surgery Association (ASDSA)
- Emily Besser, Manager of Advocacy and Practice Affairs, American Society for Dermatologic Surgery Association (ASDSA)
- Jenny Zales, Advocacy and Practice Affairs Associate, American Society for Dermatologic Surgery Association (ASDSA)
Excellence in a Campaign for Women Serving Women – An effort wherein women advocate(s) successfully impacted the outcome of a problem or opportunity on behalf of other women.
- Holly Harris, Executive Director, Justice Action Network/ Coalition for Public Safety
- Mia Pean, Founder, My Sister’s Place
Republican Women for Progress
- Ariel Hill-Davis, Director of Policy, Republican Women for Progress
- Alanna Fridfertig, Director of Outreach, Republican Women for Progress
- Kodiak Hill-Davis, Political Director, Republican Women for Progress
- Jennifer Pierotti Lim, Executive Director, Republican Women for Progress
- Patricia Russo, Executive Director, Women’s Campaign School at Yale
Excellence in Advocacy on a Controversial Issue – An effort wherein the advocate(s) successfully impacted the outcome of a federal legislative or regulatory problem or opportunity on an issue that was controversial or not very popular.
- Adjoa Asamoah, Principal/CEO, ABA Consulting LLC
- Dana Gold, Senior Counsel and Director of Education, The Government Accountability Project
- Liz Welch, Campaign and Faith-based Engagement Strategist, ACLU National New York, NY
Excellence in Advocacy by a Veteran Practitioner – Recognizes the advocate for her achievements and contributions to the industry over the course of her career.
- Susan Au Allen, National President & CEO, US Pan Asian American Chamber of Commerce Education Foundation (USPAACC)
- Lissa Druss, Founder / CEO, Strategia Consulting
- Joanna McIntosh, Senior Vice President and Chief, Government Relations, NCTA – The Internet and Television Association
Excellence in Advocacy by an Up and Coming Practitioner – Recognizes the advocate for early achievements in her career and potential to be a successful contributor to the field over time.
- Courtney Bollig, Government Affairs and Communications Associate, The Education Trust
- Hannah Holloway, Policy Specialist, Urban League of Portland
- Ludmilla (Milla) Kasulke, Associate, Squire Patton Boggs
Professional Women in Advocacy believes that when women have a seat at the public policy table, everyone benefits. To do this we must be equipped to competently and confidently represent our cause, organization or industry. The goal of our programming is to provide women in advocacy the information, tools and contacts they need for the job. Our events attract a variety of people working in all areas of advocacy including federal, state and local government relations, public affairs, community relations, public policy, legislation, congressional relations, community activism, political engagement and campaigns. The CEO is LeeAnn Petersen who is also a co-founder along with Emily Bardach.