Contact: LeeAnn Petersen at Leeann@womeninadvocacy.com
Download full press release in PDF here.
Washington, D.C. – July 12, 2019 Organizers of the 2019 PWIA Conference are pleased to announce this year’s nominees. Once again, some very impressive women have been nominated for the only award that recognizes every day women advocates in six categories.
Three finalists in each category will be announced on August 1st followed by a public endorsement period via social media which ends on September 1st. One awardee from each category will be revealed at the Excellence in Advocacy Reception and Awards on Monday, October 21st (5-7pm) at the Washington Marriott at Metro Center in Washington, DC.
The first round of judging is conducted by peers – women working in government relations, advocacy, public affairs, law, activism and campaigns. The second round of judging will be conducted by the leadership of the esteemed Bryce Harlow Foundation who will select one awardee for each category. The Bryce Harlow Foundation is dedicated to enhancing the quality of professional advocacy and increasing the understanding of its essential role in the development of sound public policy. For more information on the nominees, the awards, and the conference please visit www.womeninadvocacy.com
Here are the 2019 nominees by category:
Excellence in a Federal Issue Campaign – An effort wherein the advocate(s) successfully impacted the outcome of a federal legislative or regulatory problem or opportunity on behalf of their cause, issue, client, organization or coalition.
- Bethany Aronhalt, Senior Director, Media Relations, National Retail Federation
- Noelle Callahan, Public Policy Manager | Major Gifts Officer, White Coat Waste Project
- Linda Dempsey, Vice President, International Economic Affairs, National Association of Manufacturers
- Dr. Lesli Gooch, Executive Vice President, Manufactured Housing Institute
- Lori Faeth, Government Relations Director, Land Trust Alliance
- Drusilla Jones, Investigator NSF, Drusilla Jones, Principal
- Robin Levy, Senior Director of Public Policy and Advocacy, International Myeloma Foundation
- Peggy Tighe, JD, Principal, Powers, Pyles, Sutter & Verville, PC
- Madeline Shepherd, Public Policy Manager, Girl Scouts of the USA
- Bobby Beeman, Communications & Public Affairs Manager, Olympic Medical Center
- Jennifer Burkhardt, Chief Human Resources Officer and General Counsel, Olympic Medical Center
Excellence in a State Issue Campaign – An effort wherein the advocate(s) successfully impacted the outcome of a state or local legislative or regulatory problem or opportunity on behalf of their cause, issue, client, organization or coalition.
- Adjoa Asamoah, Principal/CEO, ABA Consulting LLC
- Anita Banerji, Director of the Democracy Initiative, Forefront
- Kim Callinan, Chief Executive Officer, Compassion and Choices
- Suzi Craig, Senior Director of Strategic Partnerships and Policy, Mental Health Connecticut, Inc.
- Tekisha Dwan Everette, Executive Director, Health Equity Solutions
- Nkenge Harmon Johnson, President and CEO, Urban League of Portland
- Renee Hopkins, Chief Executive Officer, Alliance for Gun Responsibility
- Melanie Lynn Kahn, Director, State Policy and Advocacy, American Kidney Fund
- Marian Leist, Vice President of Advocacy and New Business Development, Harc, Inc.
- Lisa B. Nelson, CEO, American Legislative Executive Council
- Kate Rolf, President & CEO, Nascentia Health
- Laura Prather, Partner, Haynes and Boone, LLP
- Markey W. Pierre, PhD, President, Southern Strategy Group of North Louisiana
- Kristin Strobel, Senior Director of State Government Affairs, BGR Group
- Liz Welch, Campaign and Faith-Based Engagement Strategist, American Civil Liberties Union
- Team: Advocacy & Communications
- Scarlett Bouder, President, Advocacy & Communications Solutions, LLC
- Lori McClung, CEO, Advocacy & Communications Solutions, LLC
- Nikki Resis, Senior Strategist, Advocacy & Communications Solutions, LLC
- Team: American Society of Civil
- Anna Denecke, Senior Manager, Infrastructure Initiatives, Society of Civil Engineers
- Maria Matthews, Senior Manager, Grassroots and State Government Relations, Society of Civil Engineers
- Team: American Society for Dermatologic Surgery Association (ASDSA)
- Kristin A. Hellquist, MS, CAE Director of Advocacy and Practice Affairs, American Society for Dermatologic Surgery Association (ASDSA)
- Emily Besser, Manager of Advocacy and Practice Affairs, American Society for Dermatologic Surgery Association (ASDSA)
- Jenny Zales, Advocacy and Practice Affairs Associate, American Society for Dermatologic Surgery Association (ASDSA)
- Team: The Womxn Project
- Jordan Hevenor, Co-Founder, The Womxn Project
- Jocelyn Foye, Co-Founder, The Womxn Project
Excellence in a Campaign for Women Serving Women – An effort wherein women advocate(s) successfully impacted the outcome of a problem or opportunity on behalf of other women.
- Adjoa Asamoah, Principal/CEO, ABA Consulting LLC
- Sarah Chamberlain, President and CEO, Republican Main Street Partnership and Women2Women
- Holly Harris, Executive Director, Justice Action Network/ Coalition for Public Safety
- Jodie Kavensky, CEO/Founder, NormaLeah Ovarian Cancer Infinitive
- Rachel O’Konis Ruttenberg, Owner, Consulting for Good LLC
- Mia Penn, Founder, My Sister’s Place
- Jennifer Migliore, Manager, The Blue Lab
- Janessa Rivera, CEO/ Owner, REBIRTH Journey
- Scarlet Sheikholeslam-Handel, Retired Nurse and Activist
- Team: Republican Women for Progress
- Ariel Hill-Davis, Director of Policy, Republican Women for Progress
- Alanna Fridfertig, Director of Outreach, Republican Women for Progress
- Kodiak Hill-Davis, Political Director, Republican Women for Progress
- Jennifer Pierotti Lim, Executive Director, Republican Women for Progress
- Patricia Russo, Executive Director, Women’s Campaign School at Yale
Excellence in Advocacy on a Controversial Issue – An effort wherein the advocate(s) successfully impacted the outcome of a federal legislative or regulatory problem or opportunity on an issue that was controversial or not very popular.
- , Principal/CEO, ABA Consulting LLC
- Senior Counsel and Director of Education, The Government Accountability Project
- , Field Director, Unite for Reproductive Rights and Gender Equality
- , Director, Federal Affairs, Diageo
- , Illinois ASCD Whole Child Leader, IL ASCD
- , Executive Director, Ruderman Family Foundation
- , Field Director, Unite for Reproductive and Gender Equality
- , Campaign and Faith-based Engagement Strategist, ACLU National New York, NY
Excellence in Advocacy by a Veteran Practitioner – Recognizes the advocate for her achievements and contributions to the industry over the course of her career.
- Susan Au Allen, National President & CEO, US Pan Asian American Chamber of Commerce Education Foundation (USPAACC)
- Lissa Druss, Founder / CEO, Strategia Consulting
- Bridget Hagan, Partner, The Cypress Group
- Joanna McIntosh, Senior Vice President and Chief, Government Relations, NCTA – The Internet and Television Association
- Christina A. Metzler, Chief Public Affairs Officer, The American Occupational Therapy Association, Inc.
- Angela Sailor, Vice President of The Feulner Institute at The Heritage Foundation, The Heritage Foundation
- Marcella O’Brien, Executive Director, Rock Island County Children’s Advocacy Center
- Katie Orrico, Director, Washington Office, American Association of Neurological Surgeons/Congress of Neurological Surgeons
Excellence in Advocacy by an Up and Coming Practitioner – Recognizes the advocate for early achievements in her career and potential to be a successful contributor to the field over time.
- Bismah Ahmed, Director of Government Affairs, Virginia, The Apartment and Office Building Association of Metropolitan Washington
- Courtney Bollig, Government Affairs and Communications Associate, The Education Trust
- Nicole Brenner, Associate, Reed Smith LLP
- Emily Bryan, Principal, Cooley Public Strategies
- Kristen Crawford, State Director, Advocacy and Access, Arthritis Foundation
- Samantha Erickson, Government Relations Manager, Grassroots, Turo Inc.
- Danielle Doheny, Director of Public Policy and Advocacy, International Myeloma Foundation
- Hannah Holloway, Policy Specialist, Urban League of Portland
- Ludmilla (Milla) Kasulke, Associate, Squire Patton Boggs
- Mia Keeys, Policy Director of the Congressional Black Caucus Health Braintrust, Congressional Black Caucus Health Braintrust, Office of Congresswoman Robin L. Kelly
- Kate Morthland, Government Relations Specialist, Planned Parenthood of Illinois
- Eryka N. Porter, Political Consultant/Trainer, Premier Consulting Firm, LLC
- Darlene Rosenkoetter, Global Head of Government Affairs & Public Policy S&P Global
- Haniyyah Sharpe-Brown, Director, Government and External Relations, Philadelphia School District
Professional Women in Advocacy believes that when women have a seat at the public policy table, everyone benefits. To do this we must be equipped to competently and confidently represent our organization, issue or cause. The goal of our programming is to provide women in advocacy the information, tools and contacts they need for the job. Our events attract a variety of people working in all areas of advocacy including federal, state and local government relations, public affairs, community relations, public policy, legislation, congressional relations, community activism, political engagement and campaigns. The CEO is LeeAnn Petersen who is also a co-founder along with Emily Bardach.