October 9, 2018, 5pm-7pm
Registration is complimentary for finalists and PWIA conference registrants. Guests may register for the reception only for $65.
Washington, D.C. – August 16, 2018 Organizers of the 2018 PWIA Conference are pleased to announce this year’s nominees. Once again, some very impressive women have been nominated for the only award that recognizes every day women advocates in six categories.
Three finalists in each category will be announced on September 4th followed by a public endorsement period via social media which ends on September 18th. One awardee from each category will be revealed at the Excellence in Advocacy Reception and Awards on Tuesday, October 9th (5-7pm) at the Washington Marriott at Metro Center in Washington, DC.
The first round of judging is conducted by peers – women working in government relations, advocacy, public affairs, law, activism and campaigns. The second round of judging will be conducted by the leadership of the esteemed Bryce Harlow Foundation who will select one awardee for each category. The Bryce Harlow Foundation is dedicated to enhancing the quality of professional advocacy and increasing the understanding of its essential role in the development of sound public policy. For more information on the nominees, the awards, and the conference please visit www.womeninadvocacy.com
Here are the nominees by category with the title of their campaign:
Excellence in a Federal Issue Campaign – An effort wherein the advocate(s) successfully impacted the outcome of a federal legislative or regulatory problem or opportunity on behalf of their cause, issue, client, organization or coalition.
- Allison L. Dembeck, Executive Director, Congressional and Public Affairs, US Chamber of Commerce
- Amanda Tyler, Executive Director, Baptist Joint Committee
- Ariel Hill-Davis, Vice President of Industry and Regulatory Affairs, Industrial Minerals Association-North America
- Dorian A. Wanzer, Grassroots Advocacy Manager, Outreach and Communications, National Association of Community Health Centers
- Elizabeth (Liz) Clark, Senior Director of Federal and Regulatory Affairs, NACUBO – National Association College and University Business Officers
- Jacki Ball, Director of Government Affairs, National PTA
- Jaime Werner, Director of Planning and External Relations, Congressional Management Foundation
- Jennifer McGuigan Babcock, Vice President, Association for Community Affiliated Plans
- Kate McClanahan, Director of Federal Affairs, Americans for the Arts
- Lesli Gooch, Executive Vice President for Government Affairs and Chief Lobbyist, Manufactured Housing Institute
- Linda Dempsey, Vice President, International Economic Affairs, National Association of Manufacturers
- Philippa Levenberg, Director, Digital Media, North Bridge Communications
- Sara Hart Weir, MS, President and CEO, National Down Syndrome Society
- Shilesha Bamberg, Legislative Aid, U.S. Senate
- Stephanie Doyle, National Outreach and Partnerships Coordinator, Citizens Climate Lobby
- Kristine Blackwood, Counsel, Arnold and Porter
- Pari Mody, Associate, Arnold and Porter
- Sara Linder, Senior Policy Specialist, Arnold and Porter
- Amy Smith, Senior Policy Advisor, Arnold and Porter
- Marne Marotta, Associate, Arnold and Porter
- Roxana Boyd, Junior Policy Specialist, Arnold and Porter
- Taylor Cazeault, Legal Resource Assistant, Arnold and Porter
- Kelly Nantel, Vice President, NSC
- Jane Terry, Senior Director, Govt Affairs, NSC
- Kathy Lane, Senior Director, Public Relations, NSC
- Maureen Bogel, Senior Manager, Public Relations, NSC
- Bridget Ballek, Public Relations Manager, NSC
- Stephanie Shaw, Safety Advocate, NTSB
- Leah Walton, Safety Advocate, NTSB
- Amy Terrone, Safety Advocate, NTSB
Excellence in a State Issue Campaign – An effort wherein the advocate(s) successfully impacted the outcome of a state or local legislative or regulatory problem or opportunity on behalf of their cause, issue, client, organization or coalition.
- Amy Wickliffe, Partner, McCarthy Strategic Solutions, LLC
- Aquarius Vann Ghasri, Commissioner, District of Columbia Housing Authority
- Ashley Groome, Senior Vice President and Director, Government Affairs, McGuire Woods Consulting
- Carrie Ann Alford, Director of Policy and Planning, Virginia Department of Veteran Services
- Michelle Carroll Foster, MPA, Vice President, State Affairs, Financial Services Institute
- Courtney Cox, Associate Director, Moore, Inc.
- Davisha L Johnson, CEO, DL Johnson Consulting Agency, LLC
- Erin Muffoletto, External Affairs Manager, Comcast
- Jo Ella Hoye, Volunteer Leader of the Kansas chapter of Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America, Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America
- Katrina R. Jackson, State Representative, Louisiana House of Representatives
- Libby Post, Executive Director, New York State Animal Protection Federation
- Nicole Barranco, Director State Government Relations, Volkswagen Group of America, Inc.
- Sherry Tomasky, Director, Public Affairs, Hunger Solutions New York
- Tamiko Lowry Pugh, Legislative Advocate, Still Standing Alliance
- Lynn Schubert, President, The Surety & Fidelity Association of America
- Lenore Marema, VP Govt Affairs, The Surety & Fidelity Association of America
- Joanne Brooks, VP and Counsel, The Surety & Fidelity Association of America
- Sara Brown, Director, Govt Affairs, Prevent Blindness & Purpose
- Jeanne Burmeister, CEO, Prevent Blindness & Purpose
- Chris Cooper, Senior Campaigner, Prevent Blindness & Purpose
- Ellie Adams, Senior Project Manager, Prevent Blindness & Purpose
- Scarlett Bouder, VP, Advocacy & Communication Solutions, LLC
- Lori McClung, President, Advocacy & Communication Solutions, LLC
Excellence in a Campaign for Women Serving Women – An effort wherein women advocate(s) successfully impacted the outcome of a problem or opportunity on behalf of other women.
- Sarah Chamberlain, President and CEO, Republican Main Street Partnership
- Amy Taylor, Senior Vice President, Community and Youth Engagement, Truth Initiative
- Ann Sullivan, Founder and President, Madison Services Group, Inc.
- Claudia Malloy, Associate V.P, National Advocacy Campaigns, National Wildlife Federation
- Edda Collins Coleman, Co-Founder, All in Together Campaign
- Gina Barr, Director of Women, Urban Engagement, Republican National Committee
- Kathryn Urban, Chief Operating Officer, Leading Women of Tomorrow
- Kristina Wilcox, Executive Director, Women’s High-Tech Coalition
- L.Y. Marlow, Founder and CEO, Saving Promise
- Lynn Taylor, SVP and Global Head of Government and Public Affairs, EMD Serono
- Raquel Williams Jones, President/CEO, CAN I LIVE
- Sagrario Ortiz, President – Founder, El Poder de Ser Mujer
- Stephanie Craig, President, Apeiron Strategy Group
Excellence in Advocacy on a Controversial Issue – An effort wherein the advocate(s) successfully impacted the outcome of a legislative or regulatory problem or opportunity on an issue that was controversial or not very popular.
- Anne C. Lennan, President, Society of Professional Benefit Administrators
- Cristina Antelo, Principal, Ferox Strategies
- Julie M. Dime, VP of Govt. Advocacy, Virginia Hospital and Healthcare Association (VHHA)
- Lauren Alfred, Vice President, Policy; Partnerships, Sandy Hook Promise
- Laurie-Ann Flanagan, Executive Vice President, DC Legislative and Regulatory Services, Inc.
- Linda Dempsey, V. P. International Economic Affairs, National Association of Manufacturers
- Melissa Wandall, President, National Coalition for Safer Roads
- Nora Fuller, Syringe Access Policy Organizer. AIDS United
- Tamiko Lowry Pugh, Domestic Violence Expert / Legislative Advocate, Still Standing Alliance
Excellence in Advocacy by a Veteran Practitioner – Recognizes the advocate for her achievements and contributions to the industry over the course of her career.
- Amanda Karhuse, Director of Advocacy, National Association of Secondary School Principals
- Ashlie T. Bagwell, Senior Government Relations Associate, Harris Jones and Malone, LLC
- Barbara Hiden, Vice President, Federal Affairs, American Beverage Association
- Erin Murphy, Senior Rep. Consumer Advocacy Outreach, National Association of Realtors
- Jeanette Stewart, President, Lands and Waters,
- Jessica Cardichon, Director of Federal Policy and Director of the Washington DC Office, Learning Policy Institute
- Lisa Schroeter. Global Director of Trade and Investment Policy. Dow Chemical
- Maureen Hoyler, President, Council for Opportunity in Education
- Melissa Ness, Founder and Principle, Connections Unlimited Inc.
- Molly Daniels, Strategic Advisor, AdvocacySmiths
- Nancy Fletcher, President & CEO, Outdoor Advertising Association of America
- Patricia “Patti” L. Dodge, Partner, Meyer, Unkovic & Scott LLP
- Sandra C. Raymond, Chief Executive Officer, Lupus Foundation of America, Inc.
- Serra Sippel, President, Center for Health and Gender Equity (CHANGE)
- Shelly Lee Griffin, Executive Partner, Secrest Wardle
- State Senator Nan Orrock, President of the US Women Legislators Lobby, Womens Action for New Directions
Excellence in Advocacy by an Up and Coming Practitioner – Recognizes the advocate for early achievements in her career and potential to be a successful contributor to the field over time.
- Chonya Davis Johnson, Advocacy Author/Trainer, 5 Minute Advocate
- Janine Beekman, Associate Research Scientist, Ipsos Public Affairs
- LaTarsha Holden, Owner, LDH Consulting Services
- Elena Hung, Co-Founder, Little Lobbyists
- Eliana Briceno, Customer Success Manager, Phone2Action
- Emily Jones, Director, Advocacy and Government Affairs, March of Dimes
- Erika Briceno Howard, Director of Communications, Policy and Advocacy, Better World Campaign
- Imani Rupert-Gordon, Executive Director, Affinity Community Services
- India Heckstall, Program Associate, Higher Learning Advocates
- Javon R. David, Partner, Secrest Wardle
- Jessica Cooper, National Grassroots Director, National Federation for Independent Business
- Kate Yglesias Houghton, President and CEO, Critical Mass: The Young Adult Cancer Alliance
- Katie Brossy, Senior Counsel, Akin Gump Strauss Hauer and Feld LLP
- Keri Richmond, Junior Policy Specialist, Arnold and Porter
- Lindsay Houff, Senior Policy Manager, National Coalition for Cancer Survivorship
- Melissa Wandall, President, National Coalition for Safer Roads
- Nicole Commodore, Manager, Federal Policy and Advocacy, Ascension
- Rachel Feinstein, Senior Manager of Government Affairs, Hearth, Patio and Barbecue Association
- Renee T. Townsend, Partner, Secrest Wardle
- Serena Jezior, Associate Director of Public Policy, Council on Foundations
- Tara Johnson-Noem, Manager, Strategic Resources and Public Policy, United Way of Greater Cincinnati
- Heather Philpot, Senior Vice President, Political and Public Affairs, Infogroup
Professional Women in Advocacy believes that when women have a seat at the public policy table, everyone benefits. To do this we must be equipped to competently and confidently represent our organization, issue or cause. The goal of our programming is to provide women in advocacy the information, tools and contacts they need for the job. Our events attract a variety of people working in all areas of advocacy including federal, state and local government relations, public affairs, community relations, public policy, legislation, Congressional relations, community activism, political engagement and campaigns.